Sunday, July 24, 2016

CHICKPEA & CORIANDER BURGERS

a meat free alternative.....


The UK has welcomed 7 consecutive days (and counting) of soaring summer temperatures, and I think the majority of us are truly grateful as we have been waiting very patiently for days like this. With the weather performing at its best, our thoughts naturally turn to eating  - and cooking – al fresco, well mine do anyway. The traditional method for this would probably be a BBQ but there’s only so many charred sausages and burgers we can and should eat, and also where does that leave those who don’t like or eat meat.

I personally don’t like burgers; people have suggested home-cooking some of my own, but I’ve never really entertained this, however, I stumbled upon the idea of chickpea burgers the other day and thought this would be a nice alternative to try. So, after a few Google recipe searches, I got my hands on some ingredients and gave it a go -  let's just say I'm feeling smug!

************************************

WHAT I USED
For the Burgers (makes 6 burgers)
400g can drained chickpeas
Juice of half a lemon
Half of a small bunch of coriander
1 egg
1 teaspoon mixed herbs
2 crushed oatcakes
1/4 fienly chopped red onion
1 tbsp of oil
Wholemeal buns – try wholemeal rolls for a nutritious boost in preference to the traditional white rolls

For the caramelised onions (the chickpea burgers can be a little dry on their own because they have a low fat content, but the onions add moisture as well as a delicious subtle sweetness
¼ sliced red onion
2 tbsp balsalmic vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
2 tablespoons of Olive oil


WHAT I DID
*In a food processor. whizz the chickpeas, lemon, coriander, egg, and mixed herbs

*Scrape the mixture into a bowl and mix with the crushed oatcakes and onions and then put the mixture in the fridge to firm up for 20 minutes

*Whilst the mixture is firming up make your caramelised onions and toast your buns

*To caramelise the onions, heat the oil in a frying pan over a low heat. Add the onions and a pinch of salt and cook slowly for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent them from catching

*When the onions are softened, add the honey and balsalmic vinegar and cook and caramelise for a further 10-15 minutes on a low heat

*Take your mixture out of the fridge and on a flour-dusted surface, divide and shape into equally sized patties

*Add the patties to a medium heat frying pan and cook for 10 minutes, or until golden and cooked through, turning halfway

*Enjoy the burgers on your toasted buns with the caramelised onions  or on their own with a salad








Later x

5 comments:

  1. Good evening Colleen! No wonder u have been smug, the result is so mouthwatering and Id like to try it so bad! Well done, for me it would be ideal since I dont eat meat but I do enjoy the ingredient u used..if only Im as much good as u!:) Glad u got to enjoy some hot weather, have a great week ahead, kisses! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Colleen, this looks fantastic!!! You mixed all I love - lemon, coriander, chickpeas, honey, balsamic vinegar... Onions are not my favorite thing, but I have learned to eat them some 2 years ago and now I always use in some dishes. I am vegetarian, so these burgers will be just peeeeerfect for me! Thank you so much for this recipe, really! I am eager to try it, miam miam :)
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, i open your Blog and see these delicious pictures. It´s your fauld, that i´m hungrey right now. The recipe is full with yummy and healthy ingredients, which i like. Be sure i will try is.
    Enjoy the weather. And btw i saw these fantastic sneakers at snapChat. i want them too. )
    Have a great week, dear Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. your pics are amazing of the good Colleen! They do look delicious and actually they look doable too - have a good week xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious, with a big salad is all I need on summer!
    xox

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx